Professional Carbon Monoxide Testing in Boston
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning has been one of the more under-publicized household hazards until two recent events put it in the spotlight. One was the accidental death in September 1994 of tennis star Vitas Gerulaitas, who succumbed to CO while sleeping in a rented home. The other was an ordinance that went into effect October 1, 1994, in Chicago requiring CO detectors in all residences heated by any fossil fuel burning equipment – in effect, all except solar or electrically heated homes. The Chicago law was in reaction to a tragedy that occurred in 1991 when a family of 10 was wiped out by CO poisoning from a faulty furnace installation.
Have you ever had your furnace checked for carbon monoxide leakage? Carbon monoxide is odorless and can be deadly. Its possible that your furnace could be leaking low levels that are too low for your in-home carbon monoxide detector to detect.
Have a Pann Home Service contractor check your system today, and ensure your family’s safety.
Carbon Monoxide Testing in Boston – Protecting Your Family
Carbon monoxide can be present in your Greater Boston area home without leaving a trace because it is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas. It kills more people annually in the United States than any other type of poisoning. The only side effects of carbon monoxide poison are flu-like symptoms (nausea, headaches, and lethargy) which are easily misdiagnosed or ignored. This potentially lethal gas can build up in any home that uses oil, propane, gas, wood or coal-fired appliances.
Carbon monoxide is produced from the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels when a furnace, water heater, or stove malfunctions. You can defend against carbon monoxide poisoning by inspecting and servicing your combustible appliances regularly and by installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
These detectors cost about $50 each and are designed to detect carbon monoxide in a single room or area. Ideally, a home should have one of these detectors in each bedroom, in the kitchen and in rooms located near combustible appliances (not in the same room as the appliance, however). If the detector identifies a certain level of carbon monoxide, a light will come on and an alarm will sound.
More advanced detection alarms are available. Some will sound a warning at a predetermined low level of the gas to indicate a potential problem. This alarm is useful in that it warns of low level accumulation of carbon monoxide and can prevent a more serious situation from developing. Also consider installing a battery-operated alarm that mounts on your central air cleaner. This will monitor the furnace return air from your entire house. If you have a security system in your home, a carbon monoxide alarm can probably be connected directly into the system. Battery and hardwired models are available.
If the carbon monoxide alarm in your home does go off, leave your home immediately, and seek medical attention. Call your local fire department from a neighbor’s phone. Firefighters are equipped to detect carbon monoxide, locate the source, and stop the emission of the gas. If you are even more concerned, speak with one of our technicians about making your home safe.
Our Boston Carbon Monoxide Testing Services
Why Boston Should Hire Us For Carbon Monoxide Testing
Your comfort and peace of mind is our policy. Give us a quick call to discuss your latest project or emergency needs. We have a fast response time with 24/7 emergency services.
Recent Articles About Carbon Monoxide Testing