So it’s the beginning of the year and you are looking at yourself in the mirror, this is your year. The year that you take back the control of your home. You said this last year but this time it’s different. Now, where to start? We know that it may be daunting facing all of the tasks your home may need to get done but luckily the pros at Pann Home Services and Remodeling have created a list of five simple steps to ensure your home starts this new year on the right foot. Our trusted team of home service specialists recommend completing these five home service New Years resolutions to keep your home running in tip top shape going into 2019 and benefit yourself, family, neighbors, and environment.
- Schedule Visual Inspections: A very important but often neglected home services step is regularly inspecting your home visually. Most people forget to inspect their home until there is a major problem that cannot be ignored. We recommend visually inspecting your home for potential leaks or rodent activity from your attic to the basement.
- Check Smoke Detectors: This is an extremely simple step that will ensure that your home will stay safe. Having a properly functioning smoke detector and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm will keep your home safe from potential fires or carbon monoxide poisoning. Just give them a quick check and replace the battery if need be.
- Clean and Replace Filters:The filters of your major appliances play an important part in how well they operate. A filter will help keep small particles from being sucked into machines where they could mess with the performance. Over time filters could become clogged with dust, pet hair, or small objects that mounted up over time. Blockages such as these can cause your appliances to run less efficiently. In order to avoid these issues we recommend that you replace your filters about every three months. When your appliances are running more efficiency you will save energy and money each month.
- Keep Your Drains Clog Free: Everyone knows that clogged drains stink, literally and metaphorically. So be sure to take steps towards preventing clogs before they happen this year. A quick and effective way to prevent clogs is placing mesh screens or strainers in your sinks, tub or shower, etc and not attempting to put items down the drain or toilet that doesn’t belong there such as grease, baby wipes, razors, etc.
- Go Green: We know that you care about the environment and limiting our water use is something that mother nature will thank you for. If you are considering a kitchen, bath or laundry remodel this year we encourage you to choose water-efficient faucets and shower heads. Another thing you may want to consider is placing a point-of-use water heater in the areas where you consistently run the taps to heat water up to minimize wasted running water. Outside you may install a drip-irrigation system instead of a new sprinkler.
By taking these simple steps you can ensure that your home is better protected and ready to take on anything that it may face coming in the new year. Start the new year right and build habits that will make sure that your home is running to it’s best performance. As always you can count on us if you need help with any of these steps or want personal advice from one of our trusted home service specialists, from our family at Pann Home Services and Remodeling we would like to wish you a happy new year.