Hidden water leaks don’t stay hidden forever. Sooner or later, they’ll signal their presence, usually well after they’ve wreaked a little havoc inside your home.
That’s right: the longer a hidden water leak goes undetected, the worse the potential ramifications. Conversely, the sooner you notice and report signs of a water leak, the better off you’ll be.
Here are the most telltale signs of home hidden water leaks in the Greater Boston area:
- Unusually high water bills
- Water meter readings that change even when no water is being used
- Chronic sewer backups
- A toilet that won’t stop running
- The sound of running water when no faucet or water-using appliance is turned on
- Spongy, soft, or discolored walls
- Musty odors from floors, walls near drains, or sewers
- A cracked or unusually damp foundation or slab
- Warm areas on concrete floors
- Mildew or excessive moisture under carpets
- Unusually wet or moist areas in your yard when the rest of the yard is dry
Where do hidden water leaks most often occur? Here are a few of the most likely suspects:
- Toilet – A silent leak can start once the rubber parts become worn.
- Under sinks or inside cabinets – While you probably look under your kitchen sink often, do you frequently open cabinet doors that conceal a water line connecting your sink to your refrigerator? Make a habit of it.
- Look behind your refrigerator – If you notice pooled water on the floor or water stains on the floor or molding, it’s possible water has leaked into your floor boards and beyond where structural damage can occur.
- Water heater – Inspect your storage tank to see if water has formed around its base. If so, the inside of the tank has probably corroded, and that’s a problem that needs to be addressed.
- Washing machine hoses – Likewise, a small leak in your washing machine hose can quickly become a major catastrophe should the hose break. Don’t wait: replace it with a stainless-steel model.
If you even suspect your home is harboring a hidden water leak, contact Pann Home Services at once. We’ll locate and fix it correctly the first time to give you a big item to check off your “honey do” list.