Soaring ceilings can make a room feel bright, airy, and large. But not every home is blessed with 12, 14, or even 20 foot ceilings, or enough attic space to go appreciably higher.
So, if your rooms are vertically challenged, there are ways to make them feel taller by using the space you do have to full advantage. It doesn’t have to cost a lot, either, as you’re about to see:
- Vertical Stripes – Create the illusion of height by drawing your eyes upward with vertical stripes. Try painting wide stripes in a lighter or darker shade than the room color or add a bold striped wallpaper for dramatic effect.
- Low Furniture – Furniture that sits low to the ground creates the illusion of more vertical space. Shopping for new furniture? Look for low profile sofas, tables, and chairs that leave a bit more open space overhead.
- Mirrors – Mirrors bounce light around which can make a tight room feel more open. Take it up a notch and add a tall floor mirror that also will visually stretch the height of walls.
- Artwork – When hanging artwork, the rule of thumb is to hang it at eye level, but if you want to make the room feel taller, hang it slightly higher than normal to lengthen surrounding walls.
- Monochrome – Paint walls, ceilings, and trim all the same color to give the impression of endless space.
- Window Treatments – Mount curtain rods a few inches above the windows and choose full length curtains to elongate the visual line of the wall.
- Lighting – Anything that hangs from the ceiling draws attention, so avoid large or low-hanging overhead light fixtures. Instead, consider wall-mounted sconces (that draw the eye up) or recessed lighting.
Then again, what if you DO have the room to add height to one or more ceilings? Or, for that matter, you already have a vaulted or cathedral ceiling you’d like to do more with? One call to Pann Home Services will have you well on the way to home improvement discovery and project completion. We’re a local, family-owned business that tackles all types of home remodeling jobs from start to finish. We also provide free in-home consultations.