Our plumbers want you to understand that burst or frozen pipes are one of the most common causes of water damage. However, there’s no need to live in constant fear of your unheated water pipes freezing or bursting and causing a watery mess in your home. With the proper knowledge and preparation, you can prevent any unnecessary accidents before they occur! All you need to do is follow these simple tips.
Tips We Use To Put A Stop To Frozen Pipes
Preventing frozen pipes is relatively simple as long you keep our recommendations in mind.
- • Keep the temperature inside your home at 55 degrees or higher, even when away on vacation.
- • Open cabinet doors below sinks and against outside-facing walls to allow indoor heat to circulate. That’s especially important when outdoor temps fall below freezing.
- • Use foam insulation to cover the pipes nearest exterior walls plus those in your garage, crawl space, and other unheated areas. Also, consider insulating the inside of your garage door or replacing yours with a pre-insulated one.
- • Close all windows near water pipes and cover or close open-air vents to block chilly wind drafts.
- • Heat your basement and consider weather sealing your windows.
- • When it’s below freezing, turn on one water faucet before going to bed and keep it lukewarm. All you need is the tiniest trickle, as moving water is less likely to freeze.
How To Handle Burst Pipes?
Try as you might, you may one day find that your pipes have frozen and burst despite your best efforts. If you find yourself with a burst pipe, there are only two steps you can take to resolve the issue:
- • Shut off your main water valve.
- • If the break is in a hot water pipe, shut off the valve.
If the pipe has frozen without busting, you can attempt to thaw it. However, avoid using a torch or open flame, as this could lead to a house fire or cause the pipe to burst. Instead, try using a hand-held hairdryer, heat gun, or similar devices to warm the pipe gently. Just be careful not to overheat the line as that may cause steam to form, leading to burst pipes.
Contact The Professional Plumbers At Pann For Help
If the pipe has already burst due to freezing, or you feel ill-equipped to deal with the problem on your own, Pann Home Services is always ready to lend a helping hand. Contact us anytime for more information or to request service.