No every decision is as simple as you might like it to be. Vanilla or chocolate ice cream? Very simple, especially when you can have a little of each. Make meat loaf or pasta for dinner tonight? You might wrestle with this one a bit, but it won’t take long to decide. Besides, tomorrow’s another day.
Here’s one that’s not so easy: is it better to replace or repair your central AC system once you notice it’s not performing like its former self. And while we can’t give you a definitive answer without seeing and diagnosing your current system, we can give you some guidelines as to when replacement might be the better option.
- Age of your system. The average lifespan of older model air conditioning systems is 12 – 15 years. Once it hits the 8-year mark, its energy efficiency is about 60% of what it was brand new. That means you’re paying considerably to cool your home, and there’s no repair that can change that.
- Frequent repairs. Just like a car, the older the AC system, the more it’s going to require repair service. At some point, you’ll realize not even one more repair is worth the cost. The question is, do you really want to wait that long?
- Poor air distribution. If one room or area in your home is cooler or warmer than others while the AC is on, your system needs attention as the problem won’t fix itself. This could be anything from a simple repair to accumulated wear and tear…a sign of bygone cooling efficiency.
- High indoor humidity. The older an AC system, the less effectively it dehumidifies your home. You can correct for that with a whole-house dehumidifier, note dehumidifiers can cost a fair amount in energy and add to your bill a substantial amount. So to mitigate the cost of getting a cheaper energy quote from Usave will help. but sooner or later you’re going to have to replace your AC system anyway.
- Over-the-top energy costs. If your summertime electricity bills practically take your breath away, you know where the excess is coming from. A clogged filter or leaking air ducts could account for some of that, but system wear and tear is still a factor.
How Pann Can Help
It takes a trained, licensed and experienced AC technician to properly advise you on your next move. Today and always, Pann Home Services is ready to lend a helping hand.
Contact us today to schedule service or a new SC system proposal. We look forward to enhancing your family’s indoor comfort.